Monday, May 09, 2011

Outlook 2003 red x where embedded image should be in email

Some user was complaining to me the other day about not being able to see embedded images in Outlook 2003. I logged onto his screen and noticed a red x where the image should be. I had him forward me one of the emails and I was able to see the image just fine. I honestly didn’t care if he couldn’t see it or not since it wasn’t work-related….but…sometimes I’m a nice guy. I searched the Internet a bit and here’s the solution that worked!

1. Exit out of Outlook 2003 on the machine with the issue
2. Open the registry (Start->Run->type regedit->click OK)
3. Navigate and open the following registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\OutlookSecureTempFolder
4. Within the key…it should say something like %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3D\
5. Highlight and delete %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\OLK3D\
6. Close out of the registry and open Outlook 2003!
7. Wooohoooo!!! All fixed!

0 comments: